Website for Citrus County Historical Society:
May 21, 2015
Rounding out this season, LaGrange is a trio of Florida Musicians featuring John French, vocals and rhythm guitar; Paul Smithson, guitar, mandolin and vocals; and Joe Ramirez on vocals and electric bass.
See "Tampa Bay News Channel 10" Video: "Why do they call it that?"
Citrus County Old Courthouse Museum
- Educational programs such as: Coffee and Conversation, Speakers Series, 4th grade tours (as well as tours for all ages), including the many Elvis fans, who come to visit where Elvis Presley filmed the courtroom scene from the movie "Follow That Dream".
- Two permanent exhibitions on the pre-historic and historic periods of Citrus County and Florida history
- Rotating / traveling exhibition gallery, which has hosted over 40 different exhibitions
- Citrus County Archives and Library which houses the most comprehensive collection of Citrus County historical records
- A Jazz at the Museum and Concerts at the Courthouse musical series is hosted by the Citrus County Historical Society at the Historic Courthouse
The Historic 1912 Courthouse courtroom can bring meetings, concerts, festivals, receptions, parties and more, to life, accommodating a group of almost any size.
From elegant weddings and formal sit-down dinners, to casual receptions and private events in the historic courtroom will create a truly memorable occasion.
The Historical Resources Office and the Old Courthouse Heritage Museum provide a wide variety of services to the community through staff, volunteers, friends, and family members. With these services we are working together to keep history alive and provide an enhanced quality of life, which in-turn creates an economic engine that benefits all citizens.
The purpose of Historical Resources Office is to plan, direct and budget for the identification collection, preservation, interpretation and presentation of the historical resources of the county. Historical Resources are defined by Florida Statute 267 as those items and information which show how the people of this county lived during both the prehistoric and historic eras. This is accomplished by the use of artifacts, archival materials, folklore traditions including oral histories, pre-historic and historic sites and structures through interpretation and presentation in exhibitions and programs.
In addition to administering the office, the historic courthouse, and the Old Courthouse Heritage Museum, the Historical Resources Officer, under the auspices of the Department of Community Services, will interact with and advise the following agencies and individuals regarding the preservation of the historical resources, including the Citrus County Historical Society, Inc., volunteers at the Old Courthouse Heritage Museum, the Board of County Commissioners, and citizens of Citrus County.
Citrus County Historical Resources significantly contributes to the quality of life and can provide economic enhancement for planned development.